Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Does ICHS serve only Asians, Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders?
No. All patients are welcome at ICHS. Though ICHS was originally founded for Asian and Pacific Islanders, we have always served a diverse population of patients.

Are ICHS’ clinics ‘free clinics’?
ICHS charges patients a fee on a sliding scale, based on their family size and household income. If you do not have insurance, our patient services representatives can help you find out if you qualify for any free or low-cost insurance programs, and help you apply for it.

How do I make an appointment at ICHS?
Call the clinic where you wish to make your appointment, come in person during regular business hours or use our online patient portal MyChart to schedule an appointment. You can find more information about scheduling appointments here.

What should I do if I need an interpreter during my visit?
When making your appointment, please inform the receptionist what language and/or dialect you will need during your appointment. Our staff will make arrangements to have an interpreter for you. Because of privacy laws, ICHS prefers not to use family members as interpreters during appointments.

What types of insurance does ICHS accept?
ICHS accepts most major insurance coverage plans, including Medicare and Medicaid. Our patient services representatives can assist you with questions regarding health coverage for you and your family. You can find information about insurance assistance here.

What should I do if there is a change in my insurance status?
Please inform the receptionist about any changes when you check in for your appointment. If you have lost your insurance coverage, ICHS can help you find and apply for free or low-cost insurance. We will not turn you away if you do not have insurance.

Can I bring in an outside prescription and have it filled at an ICHS pharmacy?
No. We only fill prescriptions written by our providers.

Where can I receive Chinese Traditional Medicine services?
ICHS’ Chinese Traditional Medicine services (acupuncture, cupping, moxibustion and herbal treatment) are available at the International District Medical & Dental Clinic. For more information on hours of services, please visit this page.

Does insurance cover acupuncture and Chinese Traditional Medicine?
Some insurance plans cover acupuncture and other Traditional Chinese Medicine treatments. Other plans require a referral from a primary care provider. Please call the International District clinic for more information.

How can I get a copy of my medical records or laboratory result?
For a copy of your medical record, please go to the ICHS clinic where you receive care and sign the authorization for release of records. It usually takes five to 10 business days to process a request.

Laboratory results are sent to patients within two weeks after the test. Please call ICHS and speak with a nurse if you have not received your results after two weeks of the test.

For questions about medical records, please call 206.788.3712.

I am under the age of 18. I would like to receive care at ICHS. Do I need to get permission from a parent or legal guardian?
If you are under the age of 18 and need services such as family planning or sexually transmitted disease (STD) diagnosis and treatment, you are not required to obtain parental permission to receive care. For all other services, patients under the age of 18 must have permission from their parent or legal guardian to receive treatment. If your parent or legal guardian cannot come with you to your appointment, please bring a signed permission slip from them.

How can I give feedback about my experience at ICHS?
ICHS welcomes patient feedback. You can submit your comments and suggestions through the patient suggestions boxes at our clinics and through our quarterly patient satisfaction surveys. You may also join our Patient Advisory Council.

How can I find out about job and volunteer opportunities at ICHS?
Check the Jobs and Volunteering page regularly for current openings.

How can I make a donation to ICHS?
You can make a donation to ICHS through the ICHS Foundation, which was established in 2007 to help raise funds for and give philanthropic support to ICHS. We accept donations by check, cash, Visa, MasterCard and American Express and online. You can also call 206.788.3694 for more information.

How can I get an ICHS Community Advocate to make a presentation in my community?
Please contact the Health Education Department at